We use alternative teaching methods to illuminate individual genius, bringing forth brilliant artistic expression latent in all humans. Lumen Animae assists individuals in finding their way to uninhibited self expression, we work with professional film studio population, Film and Animation College students, as well as with groups with no prior experience in art making.
- To use Animation as a medium, to create an imaginary ‘theater of the impossible’ performance - drawn, acted out, or sculpted live under a camera.
- To free up animators’ creativity by introducing them to an intuitive, direct way of animation production.
- To let each artist personally experience the ‘magic of animation’ through the joy of its creation.
- To approach animation production in an free and explorative way:
Each day contributes artwork to student productions of their animated shorts- the end result of their workshop participation.
- To introduce participants to montage techniques for film and animation.
Note: Should time of the workshop permit, participants record and edit with picture their personal sound tracks.
- To familiarize artists with the imaginative richness of the medium, a notorious examples of internationally renowned masters of animation are screened every class.
- Animators expend their creative horizons through the immediacy of animating live.
- Observation practice is wired with independent creative expression via tactile cognizance.
- Artists refresh their personal visual styles, discovering new ways of abstraction, through working with materials that are tricky to control.
- The resulting influx of insights ultimately authenticates each Artist's individual imaginative expression.
Types of Workshops: Animating Live and Animating from Imagination
ANIMATING LIVE workshops
To give each artist an experience of transforming the ‘feed’ of Nature-based research into the ‘output’ of their imaginative inspiration.
With a model in front of filmmakers’ eyes, Students do consecutive drawings in various temporal and spacial situations, conducting direct research of space and movement of form in time. This preparatory work serves as foundation for their imaginative animation production.
Eugene Ionesco's "Exit the King"
Animation collaborates with Pantomime
We involve Pantomime to join our imagination with the corresponding physical experiences of our bodies, to present the students with the practice of physical theater.
Part 1: Theater Exercises- Rooting student’s subsequent animation in direct experiences, our Mime will lead them into creative play of controlled movement and speechless acting.
Part 2: Mime will perform for the participants as they create sequential drawings recording continuous action in a free form visual style.
The resulting animated sequence, made with student drawings, becomes an animated documentary of their creative process.
Animating a flight through space
Dynamic Moving Composition - is an on site exercise, which strengthens visual composition design as well as perspective drawing
Participants draw consecutive images of urban landscape or environment at a visually rich location such as: Science Museum, Natural History Museum or at a Town Plaza.
ANIMATING from IMAGINATION workshops
- To nourish each Student’s uniquely pesonal animation technique.
- To provide Participants with a library of production methods applicable for any 2D animation production, regardless of the choice of material.
Animating on PAPER technique
Animators learn a comprehensive method of animating traditionally.
Exploring Direct Animation approaches
Ranging from stiletto drawn graphics, to loose charcoal and fluid paint, the styles, native to Experimental Animation, inform expressive vocabulary of individual artists.
Through separate workshops we bringing imaginary concepts to life using Experimental Animation techniques, such as:
How to book a workshop or a single class
Upon receiving your request sent email@example.com/or firstname.lastname@example.org, we will send you the list of materials and equipment as well as discuss space that you have available. Please indicate the desired group size.